1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color and Feather Pattern Questions Silver Birchen Lemon Cuckoo Cross

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pmessner, Jan 19, 2013.

1. pmessner

pmessner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    Newtown, CT
    Hi... I am pretty new to chickens and have a small starter flock of mostly marans. I know that birds have Z and W chromosomes; males are ZZ and females are ZW and that cuckoo barring is sex linked... the various feather patterns are still totally confusing to me and I am unsure of the various color interactions. I had the opportunity to raise out some lemon cuckoo orpington silver birchen marans crossed fertile eggs and got two chickens, one male and one female as shown. Can someone help me figure out what the resulting coloring and feather patterns are? The roo I am assuming is cuckoo... silver birchen blue cuckoo? I don't know... just a wild stab... and the little golden female... what would you call her? pictures attached... Any explanation of wild type genes shown here would be appreciated... it is really hard trying to learn this stuff on line particularly the feather patterning... they still kind a look all the same to me.... oops, thank you and apologies in advance for my ignorance. The number of color and feather pattern variations and all the various inhibitors and such make the task of learning chicken genetics quite daunting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this last picture shows the outcrosses with two marans hatch mates... these two are from the silver birchen marans roo but with a black marans hen... the roo is obviously silver birchen like his daddy... but what color do you call the hen?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by