Color and gene questions..please help.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Crazy Chicken Fever, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Crazy Chicken Fever

Crazy Chicken Fever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    Can someone please answer a couple questions on color and genes for me?
    This rooster is a cross between a silkie and a maran, I am interested in playing with this cross a bit but wondering about the outcome of the offspring.

Questions:
    1. If I cross this rooster back to a black silkie hen will the color delute to black?

2. If I cross back to silkie hen can I expect some chicks to hatch with this color pattern with silked feathers?

3. Will the dark maran colored egg be passed onto the chicks?

4. Would it be better for me to cross this bird back to a maran hen, and if I did could I still end up with some silked feather chicks?

My goal here is to reproduce this bird some with regular feathers and some with silked feathers. What I want to avoid is loosing the vibrant color pattern, bright blue earlobes, awesome crest, and feathered feet.

Any input would be helpful :eek:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I don't have any answers for you, but since I have the same breeds, I was wondering what a cross would look like! YIKES!! What an interesting and fancy dude!! [​IMG] Good luck to you. What would you name these? Marilkies??

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    I'm not sure on a breed name, but I do think he is an awesome bird. These pictures do not show how beautiful his coloring really is. A fun project to work on :eek:)

4. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    He's pretty

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:

6. Crazy Chicken Fever

Aug 8, 2009
    Capac
    He is a doll and I was so excited to see how handsome he grew up to be. I'm sure I will have a few people asking to buy hatching eggs.

7. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Debbi,

ad 1: Why should one get blues out of this cross?

ad 3: ... or as many [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by