Color and is it possible to tell if Rooster or Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ouroakhaven, Dec 8, 2013.

1. ouroakhaven

ouroakhaven New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    I picked these babies up today, A splash and calico I think. Any advice on color is great. And can you tell what they are Rooster or Hen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    How old? They both look like boys to me, assuming they are both the youngsters they appear to be, expecially the second one.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Cute little guys. Do you know how old they actually are, they look young? The red comb/wattle make me vote rooster on them. I would call the first one a blue, it looks fairly dark in the picture to me. The second I don't know what to call, it looks like a mix of colors and patterns.

4. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    They both look like boys to me as well. Especially since they look young with that much red on them. Very pretty colors.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both look like cockerels, as they have rather large/red of wattles for a pullet of this age. I'd call the first one a blue, and the second one is probably a calico. Very pretty coloring on both of them!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You appear to have two cockerels. The first one is a blue, and the second one I'm not sure on.

7. ouroakhaven

ouroakhaven New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    I always end up with the boys...but that's ok. They are beautiful! I can't wait to see how they turn out. I am guessing they are around 2 weeks maybe? Thank you so much for your input. I will post some more pics as they change.

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree with the other to color and sex...but I would say closer to 4 weeks than 2 weeks.

Lady of McCamley

9. ouroakhaven

ouroakhaven New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    I have them in Garage with light right now....it is in the 20-30's at night with high in the 40 - 50's. That being said it was 80s last week. Anyways when do you think I can put them in outside coop?

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd start weaning them off the lights as soon as they have head feathers. Turn off the heat when it's in the 50's, turn back on when in the 40's. Then 5-7 days after that, turn off the light when it's in the 40's, turn back on when it's in the 30's, etc. until they don't have any lights at all. Once they're weaned off the heat lamp and have all their feathers, they can go outside to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by