Color and sexing help appreciated for Muscovy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Texasmja, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay copied below are some pictures from today of the three, not sure what color they are called or what sex they are, they are all the same age, about 3-4 months old...They follow me every where so it is very hard to get a decent picture, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Texasmja

Oct 17, 2011
    Here are some pictures of them all together about 1 month ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:The 3 amigos!! so handsome, looks like all drakes but compare legs. if their legs are thick then most likely boys and since they are all the same size makes me think drakes too. are they making the high pitch trill or the raspy sound?

4. Texasmja

Oct 17, 2011
    they churp like baby chicks...? All their legs are thick, I probably have all boys, hopefully they will get along...

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:as long as there are no females they should, one will be the dominant and the others will follow. my drake was around 4 months when we started to notice his voice changing, so you should hear it soon. he will be 5 months Nov. 2nd.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree, to me their also looking like drakes. From what i have understood you can keep all males just as said keep the girls out of the equation lol Sorry i'm no help with colours but they are nice looking birds! [​IMG]

7. Texasmja

Oct 17, 2011
    How do you tell males from females?

8. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    The males legs will be very thick, and the feet will be huge! The females will be much smaller then males, and the feet will be much smaller and not nearly as thick.

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would say probably boys too. They do look the same size. There is a huge difference in size by that age. Here is a size comparison, you can tell which of my 5 is the girl.

[​IMG]

10. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:2x. Yours appear to be all boys.

When you have girls it's pretty easy to tell the difference because as they age, you notice that the girls seem more feminine. Their movements are more graceful - the boys seem to stomp stomp stomp everywhere they go. Plus the legs look so much more girly and thin, then, around 4-5 months the boys zoom up in size and start growing big caruncles on their face while the girls stay smaller and have flater, smaller caruncles (mostly edging the bill and eyes).

Very pretty colors too! I'm no expert on colors - mine are all white. But it looks like you have the "wild type" with some chocolate barring on the head of at least one. Mine have black barred patches on the top of their heads that disappears once they reach about 6 months old so I don't know if your barred heads will stay that way once they mature. Would love to know if it does tho. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by