color change in egg shells and yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Colorado Chick, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Hello everyone,
    i have four red sex links hens. Two are facing their second molt this fall, and two will face their first molt this fall. Anyway, the older two have always laid very large (Goose sized eggs), dark dark eggs with orange yolks. the younger two are large egg layers (XL according to store bought eggs). they are consistent layers. But my question is the color of their shells and yolks have recently lightened up. Can you explain why? im not concerned about health issues, everyone is doing fine. except one of them just went broody ( yes, a rsl went broody....grrrr) . anyway, the discoloration has taken place this last two months or so. thanks for your help!!!!

2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    Some birds, (mostly pullets) go through a stage called bleaching. This is when they use their lighter colors in egg production.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Egg color will lighten up as the season progresses, eggs get bigger which spreads the pigment further. Hens can become depleted over the season as well, especially high production hens. Things like stress can alter an eggs appearance, heat is considered a stressor so if you have been hotter that could be the cause, and some hens egg color changes over time. You can expect the darkest eggs at the beginning of the laying cycle and the end eggs will be lighter.

4. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014

Thank you very much, i didn't even consider the heat affecting color. My girls do like it cold, but we are in the 90's. Im sweating, so i can't imagine being covered in feathers! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by