color change

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by detali, May 14, 2010.

1. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    I bought some ceramic eggs to put into my nesting box to induce one of my hens to go broody. The eggs are white. My hens lay light brown eggs. No hen has gone broody yet but one of my hens is laying me white eggs now. Has any one else experienced that phenomena?
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's probably just the "bloom" on the eggs. Sometimes it makes eggs appear lighter in color. My hens lay tan eggs and always have, but sometimes because of the bloom they are nearly white.
  3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Quote:Yes, in fact TODAY was the first day my hen's gone back to laying a nice normal brown egg again! Since mid-March she's been laying these strange white and very light eggshells, that are very rough & dry-- then, sometimes a soft-shelled egg, and sometimes an eggshell with truckloads of calcium deposits, especially on the pointy end. I've been chalking it up to oviduct or shell-gland maintenance.

About your hen, if her pale shells turn into thin or soft shelled eggs, remove most of her treats and make sure she's got well-flaked crushed oyster shell available always, as a supplement to her layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by