color changing in eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, Sep 30, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Just a minor mystery but its been bugging me. My quail laid mostly white with blackish splotches eggs all summer but now are laying mostly khaki with blackish speckles eggs now.

Why?

Coturnix quail, if that makes any difference to the answer and no, nothing has changed in their lives other than fall arriving. But as we are in central Florida, fall hasnt changed much, not even the heat lol.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Are you adding any electroytes in the water? That will change color to the eggs.

3. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:Nope! They get what comes out of the tap, just like the rest of us lol.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I wouldn't worry [​IMG]

My hens lay different color eggs at times. It is usually the diet that causes but as you and I know we both don't change our diets [​IMG] So...I would say nothing to worry about other than a slight change in the color you see when collecting...OR the hen just kept it longer in the oviduct prior to laying making it darker...the color comes in the last few hours prior to being laid.

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:I wasnt worrying, more wondering [​IMG] Actually I was wondering if it had anything to do with the changing of color of the grasses adn weeds that happen in fall? The new egg color blends in MUCH more than the speckled white eggs they were laying.

Actually, no mater what color, I LOVE the eggs, each one being a littel work of art. They are a joy to collect, esp. when they have them all in a little grass nest for me [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have one quail that lays white eggs with black specks and two that lay brown eggs with black specks. Every once in a while, someone will lay a completely white egg just to confuse the heck out of me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by