color crossing question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Minniechickmama, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a trio of Bantam Wyandottes that I got last summer. They were apparently supposed to be Chocolate, but the cockerel is like a very Dark Blue and the two pullets are Dun colored. I have some extra SLW Bantam cockerels as well.
    So, my question is, if I were to breeding an SLW over one of the Dun pullets, what might the color result be?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Dark dun or black with lots of color leakage, mainly around the breast and neck in females.

3. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    So, what are the chances of producing any Chocolate leakage at all with the supposed to be-s?
    The cockerel is the one on the left, then the two pullets are obvious. I no longer have the other three. I have 3 SLW cockerels and only need one as well. For the time being, when I get their pen done, I will put them in with my Silkie girls I don't have a roo for until I do get a boy to go in that pen.
    Anyway, opinions about their color would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Theri

[​IMG]

4. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    If you don't mind me asking, did you get your bantams from Sand Hill originally? I just ordered their bantam wyandotte assortment (black, barred, and "chocolate"). If so I was just wondering if you are pleased with them.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Are you sure your birds are supposed to be choc? As compared with chocolates built on dun? choc is quite rare in the US.

6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    SH only sells the Bantam Wyandottes as an assortment. They list only Barred, Black and Chocolate in their catalog, so I am assuming that is what these were supposed to be. I had post the question back when they were chicks about their color and was told this is what happens with the Chocolate gene gone wrong. I didn't intend to get them, but asked if they were going to make substitutions, that I would like some of the BWs.
    Okay, I am I happy with them?
    The Barreds, though they had good type, as Glen says in the catalog, their coloring is more along the lines of Cuckoo. I basically gave the pair away.
    The Black pullet always seemed to be "off" in her behavior and appearance and wasn't surprised to find her dead one morning this winter. She did have some kind of barring around the neck too, but just at the very top of her neck, like maybe she had some Barred mix in her.
    These Blue/Dun that I am asking about, I like them for their type, especially the cockerel. The girls are nice too, but that cockerel just catches my eye every time.
    Honestly, I didn't expect to get Chocolates knowing how rare that color is here in the US. I am just trying to find out if I take this trio to the next generation what I might get. I don't have many bantams, but I do like the Wyandottes, and for those people who like bantam chickens just for fun to have around, these would be a nice addition for that purpose. I don't experiment with colors much, but I thought these might be worth playing with. And having extra SL cockerels here, maybe if I tried a cross with them it might give me something fun. Or, I could improve the type even more on the SLWs by using the Blue cockerel I have.
    Thanks.

7. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011

those are Dun based chocolate, and are the khaki or otherwise (splash for blue) version. true breeding sex-linked chocolate does not produce that particular color.
    Mate her to the dark (black) or nearly black male, and you will get closer to teh desired color.

8. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    My plan is first to place the two dun colored pullets with the dark colored cockerel. I know I am not getting SOP colors here. I just don't know enough about color genetics to know what to expect. Then if I were to put these two dun colored girls with a Silver Laced what my outcome might be. IF they would pass on the Laced gene or not, or if it would just come out smudgy?

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

Are you trying to create chocolate or khaki laced?

You'll have to work to get the lacing back to finely tuned.

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_secpattern and scroll down to "Heterozygous Pg and Ml on eb Co base:"

10. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I guess that I am looking to try getting a khaki laced. I know it will take a few generations to get it right, but I guess I am just trying to find out if with these two varieties if I can achieve it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by