Color difference in chicks of same breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by heathersboers, Feb 13, 2011.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Ok- Here is the deal- I have 2 splash marans hens bred to a FBCM rooster- One lays a Dark egg-the other about a 5- All the chicks from the dark egg are DARK BLUE- all from the light egg are Carolina blue. Will they mature to look the same?? What gives?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Is there a White spot on there head?

They should all turn out Blue Barred.

Chris

3. Casey76

Casey76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Alsace, France
    There's no barring in this equation [​IMG]

Thing with andalusian blue (black/blue/splash), is that there is very little homogenity in the colour of the blue, unlike self blue (lavender).

You won't be able to tell what colour blue they will end up until they geit ther full adult feathers. This is one of the reasons why "blue" has been standardised for so few breeds.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:My mistake I was thinking FBCM was either French Blue Cuckoo Marans or French Black Cuckoo Marans and wasn't thinking French Black Cooper Marans.

That's the problem with abbreviation some can stand for more than one thing.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

OK,
    With it being a French Black Cooper Maran over Splash hens you should have Blue and Black chicks.

Chris

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  5. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:My mistake I was thinking FBCM was either French Blue Cuckoo Marans or French Black Cuckoo Marans and wasn't thinking French Black Cooper Marans.

That's the problem with abbreviation some can stand for more than one thing.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

OK,
    With it being a French Black Cooper Maran over Splash hens you should have Blue and Black chicks.

Chris

Black to splash = blue-all I know is all the chicks have been some shade of blue- but I never thought a blue would look that light

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    When breeding blue x blue, or often even splash x black, you get quite a variety of shades of blue.

They will mature to look as they did in chick form. I myself have quite a variety, a blue so light it looks Lavender, and a blue so dark it looks black.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

OK,

Chris

Black to splash = blue-all I know is all the chicks have been some shade of blue- but I never thought a blue would look that light

I don't know what I was thinking. [​IMG]
    Splash (bb) X Black (BB) = 100% Blue (Bb)

Chris

8. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Quote:yep- mine is so light it looks lavender. When it hatched I went back and looked at the egg shell to make sure it wasnt a lav orp by mistake. This one came out clean legged- The first one out of 45 that we have hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by