Color Differences Between BBR Red Brown And Wheaton Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gagirly, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    These are OEGB. I wish I could pictures but can't . My main confusion is between the BBR and the Wheaton. I'm pretty sure the Red Brown has the solid black wing except up at the shoulder. I'm having trouble distiguishing the other 2.

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I believe you can't distinguish between BBR and Wheaten in the roo, only in the hens. However the standard of perfection shows the wheaten roos as being more golden of saddle and hackle, while the bbr is more red.

Lanae

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  3. Gagirly

Gagirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Perry, GA
    Ok. I'll go have another look at them. I thought maybe I was missing something obvious.

4. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:Black breasted red hens can be wheaton and/or partridge color. In my experience wheaton hens will usually throw a lighter red colored rooster, but don't get me wrong it is possible to get a dark red from them as well. I raise black breasted red gamefowl and I prefer the darker red hackles(for males) so the hens I use
    are partridge colored. It has a lot to do with the breed though and the history of the bloodline or breed.
    An interesting example that differs from my outcome of gamefowl is the red jungle fowl(black breasted red color pattern). Look at the hens.... Partridge color, and the roos..... Light red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by