Color differences between slate and lavender poults?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by shelleyd2008, Jun 24, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm thinking I have 3 lavender turkey poults, since none of them have black specks on them. Does anyone have pictures of lavender poults, about 2-3 months old?

Also, when I bought these, 2 had a buff base color, the other was mostly white with some grey. I thought maybe the buff was a way to determine the sex, but it appears that one of them is a tom and the other a hen, so that won't work. Any idea why they had buff base colors? They are feathering out to look the same [​IMG]

Thanks

2. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Here are some baby pics of them, I'm uploading older pics of them to photobucket, I'll post when it's done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well, thanks to another post by OmaBird, I think I've figured out why my 'slate' poults had a buff base as babies. They looked just like the lilacs on this site http://www.porterturkeys.com/lilac.htm

Of
    course, one of them looked like a slate poult, so apparently the person I got mine from has 2 different types and doesn't know it, but at least I know what they are [​IMG]

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I said this all backwards so I am editing. Glade you figured it out. There still is alot of conterversy as to what a lilac turkey is. What in a name anyways as long as you know the difference. Keven Porter list it as bronze based with 2 slate genes. It breeds true. Sandhill and the SPPA says A Lilac with Lilac mating produces only 25% offspring that are Lilac. Lilacs are a 3-way cross with a genotype for color of bbRrSlsl. Recessive for black, and heterozygous for red and slate. Twenty-five percent of the offspring are Lilac, 25% are Fawn, 25% are Red Slate, and 25% are a washed out Bronze color. Lilacs are a bluish grey with tiny red flecks and a red band in the tail. Did you read the history of the slate by Franklin Albertsen on slates at the bottom? http://www.porterturkeys.com/blueslateselfblue.htm No wonder there is so much confusion.

I am not sure what you mean by buff based. I break everything down into black based (B), blackwing bronze based (b1) and wild bronze (b+). Do you mean fluffy down color?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I mean their colors when they were fuzzies, 2 of them were buff colored (mostly on the heads) with grey on their backs. The other was white with grey.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Why don't you just ask Kevin Porter directly? He has a contact me on his website. I have known him for years, he is a really nice guy and will be more than happy to help you out.

Steve

7. OmaBird

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Did they have mask? From the picture I do not see mask in any of them so they might be Porters version of Lilac. That would make them bronze based. Mask are always black based.

I put wing bands on mine. I take pictures as they grow and take notes. I won't remember next year if I don't do this.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No masks, not even on the one that was white with grey.

9. OmaBird

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Here is one of my toms.

[​IMG]

10. OmaBird

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Its hard to get the right lighting to show off the color.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by