Color Experts - Color on Blue X Buff Cochin Mating - Young Pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LMEggs, Sep 21, 2010.

1. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    I have a pullet I was wondering what color she qualifies as. This was supposed to be a lemon blue project starting... This pullet is kind of I don't know... Well just have a look at her anyway... Keep in mind she is just a baby. I used a Blue hen and a Buff Rooster... I am a total newbie when it comes to crossing colors and genetics. Another question. For lemon blues should the legs be slate or yellow such as on this little pullet. Should I use this pullet to keep going with my project if so what color of rooster should I use next ?

Side view
    [​IMG]
    Feeties
    [​IMG]
    Another Side view I think this ones name should be Sassy
    [​IMG]
    Front View
    [​IMG]

2. LMEggs

LMEggs Show Me Feathers Poultry CO

May 4, 2008
    So no one can help me ?

3. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    I believe lemon blue is a blue version of Brown red (red birchen).You are right to use blue,but you need to get a Brown Red. I am guessing you want it on a Cochin?Large or bantam?Cochins have yellow skin and shanks and even the dark colored cochins have yellow bottom feet. Hope this helps.

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    The pullets from this cross will be sort of quail looking (dark backs, buff breast), the cockerels more columbian looking (buff blacktail).

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Yep.

What you're doing with the Buff x Blue will never create a true Lemon-Blue, LMEggs...she's just a Blue x Buff cross, which is basically a Blue that's "leaking" Buff color.

She's really pretty though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by