Color Genetic Guesses on This Rooster

Rujzin

Songster
7 Years
Jan 9, 2016
Missouri
Color gurus, what do you think this color pattern is?

Would Dominant White do something like this? The hackles are golden so I didn't think it'd be Dominant White, though the tail and wing makes it look that way.

I don't know anything about his background. I was at a swap, saw him in a cage, and without thinking about it I brought him home. Forgive his comb in the picture - it was covered in dried blood. He had obviously been sharing a pen with someone who didn't like him.

I tried playing around in the chicken genetics calculator but couldn't find a combo that looked right.

Attachments

• Red Rooster1.jpg
    Red Rooster1.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Red Rooster2.jpg
    Red Rooster2.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 10
Color gurus, what do you think this color pattern is?

Would Dominant White do something like this? The hackles are golden so I didn't think it'd be Dominant White, though the tail and wing makes it look that way.

I don't know anything about his background. I was at a swap, saw him in a cage, and without thinking about it I brought him home. Forgive his comb in the picture - it was covered in dried blood. He had obviously been sharing a pen with someone who didn't like him.

I tried playing around in the chicken genetics calculator but couldn't find a combo that looked right.
sexlink rooster.

It's not a red sex link rooster.
The whole idea behind red sex links is breeding a gold based rooster to a silver based hen so the female offspring will be gold based and the male offspring won't.
That rooster has the same look as a red sex link hen which is completely wrong for a RSL rooster. How well would you think sexing them as chicks go?

He has dominant white and red columbian. Not a sexlink, but may have RIR and white leghorn in him (same breeds as typically used to create RSLs).

It's not a red sex link rooster.
The whole idea behind red sex links is breeding a gold based rooster to a silver based hen so the female offspring will be gold based and the male offspring won't.
That rooster has the same look as a red sex link hen which is completely wrong for a RSL rooster. How well would you think sexing them as chicks go?
Maybe it's a feather sexing cross and not a color? Just a thought, but I don't know what breeds are fast or slow

He's a pretty heavy boy - not what I would expect out of a Leghorn. He also isn't neurotic and I tend to associate that flighty personality with Leghorns.

But just because he's pretty chill and larger doesn't mean Leghorn isn't part of his pedigree.

What about the hackles? If it is D. White, what would be causing the red to gold fade? His hackles are NOT white (compare the lightest color to the white on his tail).

He has dominant white and red columbian. Not a sexlink, but may have RIR and white leghorn in him (same breeds as typically used to create RSLs).
White Leghorns can't be use on sex linked crosses due to them being Extended Black at the e locus, to learn more about what are the genetic background of the RSL Cross just look at my thread about it.

As for the pattern on the rooster, it's Gold base Columbian with dominant white, Enter this on the chicken color calculator: eWh/eWh(Wheaten), Co/Co(Columbia), Mh/Mh(Mahogany), s+/s+(sex linked golg), I/I(Dominant White)

Back
Top Bottom