color genetics Q

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Megs, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Megs

Megs Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    hi all, i just had my first go at the chicken color calculator (well my first possibly successful go anyhow) and if i did it correctly when crossing a birchen (i always called them "grey" but i beleave birchen is the correct term?) with a blacktail white you will get...

50% Pullets, black patterned silver -necked/birchen
    50% Cockerels, black patterned silver -necked/birchen

does this mean that black patterened silver is the same as necked/birchen? im not sure what necked is. Im new to researching color genetics and its a bit daunting [​IMG]

thx in advance [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    The patern is SILVER NECKED BLACK .That is Birchen to:hmmr Grey in Game breeds.Birchen color parern is dominant.Black tailed white is called Columbian.Columbian is rececive to Birchen but in most cases will add more siver to Birchen paterned birds

3. Megs

Megs Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    thank you for the reply, is having more silver a desired trait with the birchen color?

4. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    Necked refers to the neck. It's really easy to read it as "naked"! It is one syllable, describing how the neck is silver. Lily livered, yellow bellied? Same thing.

5. Megs

Megs Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    interesting, so much genetics lingo [​IMG] ill have to learn it if im to use this calculator!

this is great news, as i have a line of beautiful short legged birchen japanese bantams and i cannot find any other of this color & breed to mix in for new genetics, and i already have some blacktailed white japanese bantms (long legged but i dont mind that, my birchen are all short legged).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by