Color Genetics Question for Blue Orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by skeeter9, Oct 29, 2007.

1. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I swear I read somewhere a while back that to get the lacing on the Blue Orps you have to breed black to blue, and that the lacing is required in the standard. Of course, now I can't find the site that I was reading. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
    Lori

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm no expert on this, but I know that if you begin to breed alot of splashes you end up losing alot of lacing. Lacing comes in varying degrees on the blues. Mine do not have much distinct lacing and they came from two different sources, so I was wondering if there was a difference in standard somewhat between the U.S. and Europe. To get the lacing back, it's correct that you should breed black to the blue again, if you have lost it from the blues. I haven't been able to hatch any black pullets unless the baby in the brooder is a girl but I'm hoping soon, I'll get a black pullet to put with Suede's group.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's pretty much how I understand it, too. I wish I could find that darned site again - it had great info on poultry genetics. I'll poke around later and see if I can find it again, then I'll print it!!!!!

Lori

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

5. paintedpoultry

paintedpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Somerset, England
    HI there all

Just joined - am Orpington mad and just thought I would say Hi!!!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hello there from England...we sure LOVE your Orpingtons! All those colors!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by