1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color genetics question for muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, Jul 7, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Are blue and black in muscovies "related" like they are in chickens? i.e. blue/black/splash...

I am keeping a blue pied drake that will be over a black pied hen duck and just wondering what kind of kiddos I will get [​IMG]

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I am new at Muscovies, and was reading on genetics yesterday....

Blue is like the BBS in chickens, so blues and blacks from the pairing.

The pied apparently is like half white, so you might also see some whites, pied, and non-pied from the breeding.

Then again I may be wrong.

Enjoy your birds

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I have no clue.... The Muscovy Person on here is Bleenie so I would ask her. [​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Thanks! I do enjoy them! I have a whole lot of drakes and am selling them off on Sunday where I know they will become someones dinner. It usually doesn't bother me when I give extra roosters away for someones dinner, but I'm kind of sad and wish I could keep them all - it was really hard picking which two drakes to keep!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  5. KateBeauchemin

KateBeauchemin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Anything pied, as I understand, stays pied. Pied and anything else give you the pied gene. Same as bibbed. One of those passed down traits.

Black and blue usually always produce 50/50 split of black and blue self pied babies. With blue and black, male and female of each color.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingEend.html

Is my experiment site. It has held true in all my breeding of ducks.

Hope it helps. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by