1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

color gentics and breeding for a certain color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hdowden, Dec 15, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok i know that if i cant find any self blues to use black. i have heard that breeding a self blue to a porciline can be deadly, is that true? i have asked before and have gotten several different answers (yes and no's). also has anyone ever breed a self blue to a porciline before and if so what colors did the chicks turn out to be(if you have pics please post)? i have seen in the what breed/gender is this section a colombian colored d'uccle, how would you go about getting that color in a breed that doesnt have it and what color's would you use to get the colombian color? i currently only have 4 chickens 2 pullets and 2 roosters. my 2 pullets are the porciline and the mille fluer, my 2 roos are a self blue d'uccle and a mille fluer oegb(his pullet was killed by a dog [​IMG] ) i have been around chickens my whole life but just now getting to the breeding part and eventually to showing my chickens so i am trying to learn as much as possable about breeding a good flock. i also know the best chance to a good start is starting with a good flock from different breeders who show (i still have to get the SOP so idk what the standerard is for d'uccle's so i post pics on the breed thread and ask them what they think).

~ this is a thread for anyone with these type of questions...yes i do want/need mine above answered please and thank you.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Since you are breeding D'uccles self blues are actually much easier to come across than true blacks. Black D'uccle breeders are few and far between in the US - I'm not sure why - but they just are. Self blue is a pretty popular color and I know there are many breeders out there with them. D'uccles in general aren't nearly as popular as other breeds (OEGBs, Silkies, Cochins, Orps, etc) so there aren't as many breeders, and even fewer really good ones with quality birds.

To get self-blue (Lavender) your going to need to breed to Self blue. Porcelain X Self Blue will give you some self blue offspring (I think) BUT the pattern gene is going to throw you off, and probably pop up in many birds. I would just wait and hold off till spring and find breeders to get stock from, even chicks or eggs...There are many good breeders on the D'uccle threads that sell eggs.

Word of advice - before you even try to breed, you need to get the SOP for D'uccles - without the SOP you'll never be able to figure out what is a good bird and what isn't. If you try to breed without a good knowledge base, its like shooting at a target 300 feet away in a pitch darkness with your eyes closed. Also go to shows, see for yourself hands and eyes on what Show stock looks like.

Hope that helps some. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm looking around at different breeders and colors for d'uccles. theres one breeder on there that has created Blue splash & calico. i am planning on getting some eggs after christmas even though its not a reconized color it is very pretty and she has pics of the calico rooster on the d'uccle thread (on page 422 i think). i really need some quilty self blue's and the mille's and porcilian, these three will be in the same pen until i can get more of their colors then they will be seperated, eggs collected for 2 month(i know its only a month but want to be on the safe side that there are no more self blue fertilized eggs), and then i will start hatching and checking fertility and all that good stuff. i wont get rid of any pullets though but will of extra roo's (i'm gonna have a sperate pen for those that dont make the cut into breeding for shows).

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    http://belgians.edelras.nl/ is an EXCELLENT source for understanding the genetics and breeding of belgians (d'uccles, booted bantams, d'anvers, etc.) The author of the site is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about genetics.

5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    theres only buff colombian in the d'uccles. this one was the white colombian color. would u use the buff colombian and white d'uccles to get the white colombian color?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    would u use the buff colombian and white d'uccles to get the white colombian color

Buff Colombian + Silver = "Silver" Colombian [there is no such color as, "White Colombian"]

Chris​

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:Sorry, but I didn't read any further than this sentance, and I haven't stopped giggling yet. As an EMT, I can assure you that breeding those two colors of birds will not likely lead to death. Cutting through your thigh with a chainsaw, on the other hand....... [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how would you get a lemon blue?

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Brown Red + Blue = Lemon Blue
    Black Breasted Red + Blue = Blue Red

Chris

10. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    old thread i know...do you have to do back breeding's to get the lemon blue and blue red to show?

i have also been trying to figure the blue Millie Fleur coloring in d'uccles and have yet to figure that one out

now as to breeding the self blue to a porcelain for the gain of needing some extra pullets in grow out pens with cockerels. i have hatched at least 10 and have 3 die with in 3 days of hatching. they would be doing fine when i go to bed then wake up and they would be dead still don't know why though. as to the pattern from the porcelain, none of the chicks have any pattern to them and if i remember right you need 2 copies of the pattern gene to have it show right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by