1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color help for two OEGB hens??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by okiepony, Sep 15, 2011.

1. okiepony

okiepony Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    The one in the front and the brown one --- what are their "official" colors??

The light one is sorta very light gray, but the head/neck/breast have a very light yellow/golden color to them. The feathers are very light in color close to the body (out of sight), but the tips are darker as seen, i.e very light grayish with faint golden markings.

[​IMG]

They're be moms to some of the eggs that are hatching today/tomorrowish and I'm trying to figure out what colors/ color combos I'll be looking at, trying to figure out who the daddies are out of my roos....

Thanks!!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    The brown one is a Spangled. I don't believe the light coloured one is a named variety, probably the result of some cross.

3. okiepony

Mar 10, 2011
    Of course I can't be sure, at all but these came from the feed store as tiny chicks and I'd *think* they would have been purebreds.....??

I've tried to look at different colors all over the net, but no help so far. It doesn't help that I'm still a chicken newbie.....

4. okiepony

Mar 10, 2011
    I took a really good look at her a while ago and the head/neck/breast feathers have a pale golden border around then, yet the base of the feather (out of sight) is white. The Non-bordered area is faded gray. I don't "speak chicken" fluently enough yet to actually know what pattern the edging is... laced?????

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Can you get a better picture of the comb of the light colored one?
    The comb just don't look right for a pure Old English but she does looks like a cross at least in the colors. She could be a very light Blue Golden Duckwing, I agree with NYREDS that the "brown" one is a Spangled.

Chris

6. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I would like to see her comb to..
    But I can tell you that is one of the colors that I'm getting from my choc./dunn oeg...

7. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    possible Selfblue cross
    and Spangled

Edit to say I change that... she looks full selfblue!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011
  8. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    [​IMG]

9. okiepony

Mar 10, 2011
    Here comes - it's like the comb on the brown spangled one, except much taller. It's so tall it flops over to one side most of the time.

[​IMG]

Open when her head is down:

[​IMG]

And a closeup of the breast feather pattern:

[​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Shes not Self Blue if she was she would be one uniform color.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by