Color in face question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two pullets, one is a 16 week old Barred Rock and one is a 20 or 24 week old Dark Brahma. They both are pretty red in the face/waddles/comb area in the morning and through the early afternoon, but by the time evening comes they are noticably paler in the face. Has anybody else experienced this? Neither has laid an egg yet. Just curious if it was normal, the only others I can compare to is a 16 week old EE who hardly has a comb or visable face skin at all, and a few 12 week old Wyandottes which neither are red at all yet.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Actually, I noticed this with my 16 wk RIR. She has the most red of the three I have and when I'm holding her for a while all the red in her face is gone (except the comb) and her face is actually yellow (her legs are yellow so that makes sense). After walking around a bit the color returns.

3. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    One of our hens gets really red in the face if she gets upset.. I've known macaws to do this to.. And if your wondering why I am upsetting my hens and macaws, I'm not! The hen just hates being picked up and the macaw has a crooked beak that has to be trimmed and it makes him so mad!

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh okay! Good to know. Yeah I notice that when I am holding the Barred Rock her face pales, but she is usually sleeping when I hold her lol and when they run from my dog when he is prancing around they get red in the face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by