Color me humidity confused

honeynajar

Songster
May 19, 2011
I bought the Farm Innovators big incubator and have put 21 eggs in it. My old incubator was the Brinsea Mini. Directions for the Farm Inonovators has the humidity during the first 18 days at 50-60% The Brinsea lists 40 - 50%. I'm confused since an egg is an egg right? I've had 90% successful hatches in the past with the Brinsea at 40/50 and have done that for the past week with the new incubator. Am I being dumb? I seem to be adding water at least every 4 hours to maintain 45%. Any thoughts?

I hate my farmers innovator incubator. My temp kept fluctuating up and down going as low as 95 and then all the way as high to 110. Lost 10 out of 27 eggs thanks to that thing. I finally pulled them all out and bought a used lyon incubator which is awesome. Temp never fluctuates more than a half a degree. Anyways, never had problems with humidity in that farmers innovator bator but if I were you I'd lower your humidity. If your old way worked then stick with it. Most everything I have read says between 45 and 50%.

Humidity percentage can vary greatly. There are many ways to do it, no real set technique. There are recommendations and suggestions, but thats it. Many people are starting to do dry incubation around 30-40%, then turning up to 60-70% the last few days of incubation.

I was wondering why you switched from the Brinsea to the Farm Innovator? Foam incubators are much less reliable than a better quality like a Brinsea. Did you need more room? Just curious because I need to invest in a better quality incubator.

IMO it's best to ignore humidity values or this or that recommend number...

A much better option is to weigh the eggs and/or candle the eggs and monitor air cell development and adjust humidity up or down as needed every 3 days to maintain proper aid cell development and egg weight loss...

I have a min brinsea avanced with 7 eggs always kept one side full of water on day 18 you full both sides in few days I'll find out if they all hatch, can't wait

IMO it's best to ignore humidity values or this or that recommend number...

A much better option is to weigh the eggs and/or candle the eggs and monitor air cell development and adjust humidity up or down as needed every 3 days to maintain proper aid cell development and egg weight loss...

I agree. I do aim to keep my humidity around 30% but do watch my air cells closely. The amount of humidity that you need is going to vary based on your location, elevation, and time of year. I aim for 30% during incubation because historically that s what works for me. BUT I check my cell no less than every 7 days and change my humidity based on what those cell show.

This one has been consistently 100 degrees spot on since we started it. Thanks for replying!

Owl Flights - I definitely needed more room. I was doing 3+ hatches a season and that was just trying. Now I'm using the Brinsea for turkey eggs. I tell you the temp has been spot on the entire time with this one. and when I notice the humidity getting close to 40% I open the one little air hole and use a syringe to push a bit of water in. So I don't have to open it. It's working well for me. Hopefully I get a good hatch rate in 12 days. :) I'm keeping it between 40 - 50%.

"Humidity percentage can vary greatly. There are many ways to do it, no real set technique. There are recommendations and suggestions, but thats it. Many people are starting to do dry incubation around 30-40%, then turning up to 60-70% the last few days of incubation.

I was wondering why you switched from the Brinsea to the Farm Innovator? Foam incubators are much less reliable than a better quality like a Brinsea. Did you need more room? Just curious because I need to invest in a better quality incubator."

Back
Top Bottom