color of Barred Rock babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick4chicks, Jul 13, 2008.

1. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I have some Barred Rock babies, they are black with yellow on their heads and bums, is this right? I have some other ones and i think their head spots and bums were white with black bodies. Am i losing it and don't remember the other ones being yellow or what? [​IMG] LOL. Thank you kindly in advance for helping me keep my sanity.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Black and light yellow are correct for barred rocks.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, most of mine are yellowish-white in varying shades.

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Thank you both so much, i thought i was losing it big time.

5. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    it shouldn't be too bright of a yellow. they should be all back with white/LIGHT yellow on their tummies and a spot on their head!

6. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    This is a pic of my Barred Rocks at 2 days old:

[​IMG]

I don't remember yellowish on their bums, just their heads.

They are the most "peckish" of all the breeds, at least 2 of them out of three are. They are the first to rush over and watch my hands as I reach into the brooder. Am I doing something wrong or is this indicative of the breed?

7. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Quote:i am raising 2 barred rocks for the first time and i asked to eerytime i open the hutch they run over to me, but someone said i should be happy they want to see me cuz most don't wanna see their owners. i hear barred rocks are most affectionate but if you say there pecking you i don't know mine never peck me unless i'm wearing my rings.

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have 2 little barred rocks, and one of the 2 is the most curious thing I have ever seen. Every time I went to the brooder or now the coop, she will jump up on the highest thing she can get to, to be as close to me as she can, and then she will just sit there with her little head cocked and watch me. It is so cute!!

9. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Your pics could be my barred rocks three weeks ago. Now they are starting to begin to show the pattern. Just wait.

10. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    They (esp Mean Jean) peck at my ring or watch and MJ will grab a bit of skin and kinda tug and twist. I can only imagine when they get bigger that is going to hurt. I tried blowing on them and saying "no". They are always the first to rush over when I stick my hand in.

Mean Jean and her sidekick Teena last week:

[​IMG]

I see yellow on their bums!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by