Color of EE chicks as adults?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by haunani, Mar 13, 2017.

1. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    I know it's really a waiting game, but any guesses as to what colors my EE chicks will be as adults?

I'm guessing they're about a week old (wing feathers, but no tail feathers, yet).

The dark one on the right has the classic chipmunk striping. The yellow one is the middle does have some light blue/grey on its head/back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's fun to guess, but a waiting game. The chick on the left is blue, and the other two may have mixed coloring. Cute! Mary

3. haunani

haunani Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    near Rockford, IL
    I know, lol. I'm an impatient person by nature, so I'd love to play guessing games as to what they might look like when they grow up. :)

I was hoping that one was blue. That's the one my son (4.5yo) picked. I tried to get 3 that looked very different and think I succeeded.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've had a lot of EEs over the years, and you really never know what they'll look like exactly as they mature, but the darker chicks will be darker adults, yellow chicks will be white, and very pale tan[​IMG]

chicks will be wheaten or light in color. Your blue chick is a given - it will be blue. But sorry there's no real way to know beyond that generalization. Of these four chicks pictured, the two on the left side of the pod were very dark striped when babies, while the two on the right side were light tan. These are pretty average in appearance.

EEs are my most affectionate chickens, climbing into my lap at every opportunity, and moaning (yes, moaning) in ecstasy when cuddled.

5. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Not to muddy the water but here is my only EE and she looks pretty different as a teenager than she did as a chick... in the teenage picture she is the one on the right-next to my SLW. She looks like a little hawk, but I'm shocked by the amount of white on her. Her other dominant color is brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    EE are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get! Love 'em!

1 person likes this.
  7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Got that right, Lazy! EEs are the "Whitman's Sampler" of chickens!

And I was surprised to find one of my EEs has no beard and muffs. Lays an olive egg.

8. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    This is the logical 2nd step-wondering what hue of (hopefully) blue or green egg they'll lay :)

I only poke fun at it because I'm there right now with my girl Poppy, 15 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by