1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color of eggs changing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dchicken207, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dchicken207

Dchicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Maine
    So my EE has been laying a nice olive/green egg consistently but today she laid a light blue egg. is this just a one time thing? what are the chances she will lay more blue eggs? I don't really care what color they are just thought it was cool.

all the eggs on the back row are from the same EE
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    I don't know about the color of EE eggs changing over time but I know my BR's eggs can change shades of brown from day-to-day. They are still brown but some days they are dark and some days they are lighter and other days they have a few spots ... I would guess it could be the same for an EE.

3. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I was getting green egg almost every day for a few month, then all of a sudden, they stopped. That was about a month ago, and I haven't gotten one since. I have a theory that green egg color may be tied into eating green grass or plants. My yard is almost all bermuda and has been very brown for a while now. I'm still getting plenty of eggs, and everyone is accounted for and happy. It's just the darnedest thing. Does anybody else notice a similar phenomenon?

4. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    My hens went from laying a nice dark tan egg to laying a light tan egg because I changed the brand of food. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by