Color of Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PawsUp, Oct 18, 2009.

1. PawsUp

PawsUp New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    Hello All, I am a new poster, from So. California. I have always had Rhode Island Reds, and now excited I have 2 Araucanas. They just started laying eggs at 21 weeks. One is laying green eggs and the other is laying brown eggs. Is this common? [​IMG]

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Sounds like they're Easter-eggers, not full blood Araucanas. Mine lay green, blue, and olive colored eggs. I've never had an Easter-egger lay a brown egg, but I guess it's possible, depending on the sex of the rooster.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

3. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Last I checked, all roosters are male.

Sorry 'bout that, I just couldn't resist. And you clearly have Easter Eggers who can lay just about every color under the sun, including brown.

4. Puck-Puck

Puck-Puck Chillin' With My Peeps

And what KHayward surely meant before the fingers typed something else, was "depending on the breed of the rooster (father)". Apparently, the egg colour gene is passed on by the father--or so I have read on this site. :[​IMG]

5. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    People and hatcheries have got to stop it with the false advertising of Easter Eggers. The common person does not know to look out for this- I know I didn't until I got on the site. Its false advertisement and it's just not fair!

6. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, not all "aurcanas", (usually EE if sold by a hatchery) lay those lovely blue eggs. I have three EE from a hatchery (supposedly from Cackle Hatchery - I got them from a farmer as 2 week old chicks who said he uses Cackle). Only one is laying at 25 weeks and she has given me 3 weeks of light tan eggs:/ I hope the other two had different fathers and that I'll get that blue/green from them!

7. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    I bought four "ee" chicks/mixed breeds from a farmer at a chicken swap, so far two of the four have layed brown(ish) eggs! [​IMG]. One is giving me a light green egg and the other has yet to lay (at 28 weeks I might add).

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:EEs are not the only birds from hatcheries that are advertised falsely. Most all of them use pictures of birds that are not even from their hatchery.

9. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i'm waiting to see what hatches from my EE roo and my leghorn, and hoping i get a few girls so when they lay i can get an idea of what color the roo is contributing.... since the mom lays pretty white eggs i'm assuming the babies will lay a lighter shade of whatever they get from their dad?? or maybe the exact shade?? not sure how that works....

i also have 6 EE girls, only one is laying so far, and her eggs are a really cool coral type color.. lighter, definatley not brown, but not really pink either.. hoping i get a green egg layer or two out of the bunch... would be really cool if each of them laid a different color...

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Concerning the colors of eggs, both parents contribute egg color genes to their off spring.

Eggs are green because there is a brown gene from one parent or the other.

If you breed a rooster (with green genes) to a leghorn hen it is possible to get a green egg or a light brown egg. The rooster will be carrying a brown egg gene. It should be impossible to get a blue egg from this cross, since neither parent carries a dominant gene for blue.

The coral colored egg you mention is a shade of brown, just a very light shade, as is a pink shaded egg.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by