1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

color of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by urban-chick-mom, Dec 4, 2011.

1. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I have 1 NHR and 1 BO. I get 1 egg/per day. My question is: Does anyone know which breed is laying which egg? One is light brown and the other a little darker brown. I also have a WLH but she is easy to tell which egg is hers! Thanks!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Only if you catch the hen laying or you dye her backside and watch for the funny dyed egg to show up.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    keep one of the hens in a different place or pen for awhile (til egg is laid) and you can see

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My two BOs each lay a light buff-coloured egg, with a medium sheen.

[​IMG]

The egg in the second row is from one of my BOs. (First row: BRs, Third row: LBs, Fourth row: PRs.)

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My three BO's also lay the lighter brown egg. Still small but still laying.

6. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Quote:Thanks for the photo! I thought the light colored brown was from my BO.

7. urban-chick-mom

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Quote:Thanks! The light colored brown egg is the smaller of the 2 also. I thought it might be the BO.

8. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    CelticOaksFarm
    Yesterday 7:16 pm

Only if you catch the hen laying or you dye her backside and watch for the funny dyed egg to show up.

How does dyeing the hens vent work? Just add a few drops of food coloring? I can't figure out which of my ducks are laying...I think this would work...need details please...Thank you:)

9. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Put food coloring around their vent the dye will be on the egg, different colors for different hens.

Quote:How does dyeing the hens vent work? Just add a few drops of food coloring? I can't figure out which of my ducks are laying...I think this would work...need details please...Thank you:)

10. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    Thanks! I'll give it a try. The girls are not going to be happy with me I'm sure.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by