color of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by julieseggs, Sep 12, 2008.

1. julieseggs

julieseggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    iam new at this chicken laying. i have 5 arraca. there about 34 weeks old. one just started laying about 4 days ago. eggs 2 days then 0 also have 3 buufs and 1 buff roo.i have 2 questions. 1 will the others start lay ing soon or was the first one early. 2 the eggs i got are a cream color rather than the green i was hoping for. is this because of the buff roo? will the others be cream colored or will they have a green tint to them that i hope for:rolleyes:

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    They seem to be awful late to laying actually rather then early!

Do you have any photos of the birds and the eggs you got?

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:First, congrats on the eggies....they are always exciting. [​IMG] Second, the roo has no control over egg color, or anything else related to egg laying for that matter (except fertility of course). Are you sure you have Aracunas? If you have EE's (which most of us do) they can lay green or pinkish tinted eggs too. And yeah, 34 weeks is pretty late to start laying. Not unheard of I don't suppose but depending on the breed they can start as early as 18 to 20 weeks.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got 2 EEs that began to lay well after 32 weeks, but they lay XL - Jumbo sized eggs, so it was worth the wait.

Do your pullets have willow green legs? If so, they're probably EE (easter eggers).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by