Color of Naked Neck?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yoie, Mar 6, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Songster

I was looking through tons of pics on this group and can't seem to figure out what color my naked neck might be? Just curious, she makes me think of my Easter Egger colors. I know she is still young but any input would be nice. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I had a NN pullet start off that colour too. she lost most of the brown when she grew up and is now 95% reddish buff with just a few brown feathers in the wing and 1 or 2 black tail feathers.

3. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Songster

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    I'm not sure, but I bet you she grows out red. [​IMG]

4. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Songster

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    From my experience she will be red with white down around her neck. Her cap is red so I doubt her chick markings will carry to adulthood. As babies my chicks seemed to be different with their feather markings, some had yellow caps and others were red. The only difference now that they are grown is the chick w/ green legs still has green legs and Annie Black, the only black feathered one is still black. The others are alike as peas in a pod now. They are giving me pullet eggs now, and they are just 5 months.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, looks red to me. The red babies always look so pretty and then they molt out to one color!

6. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Reddish is my guess too, with a black tail.

Those markings are due to certain genes that make the little bars and speckles. But a lot of hatchery stock NN also have another gene that eventually turns them mostly solid colored. This same gene is not very common in EE so they don't turn 'one color'...

Then again most NN are deliberately mixed, both by color or breed so there is some chance it will look different anyways. Gamble on red until 'proven otherwise' though...

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    mine looked like that as a baby now she look like this
    [​IMG]

8. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Ahhh here we go, this is what you could end up with, as it looks somrthing like mine when younger
    [​IMG]

9. yoie

yoie Songster

Cool, I was hoping she would be red. She had all red fluff as a little chick, but then the black started showing up with the red and didn't know what she would be then. And all your Naked Necks look beautiful!!

10. yoie

yoie Songster

She is starting to look more red everyday. Look at her now at 3 weeks!! Also her neck is starting to turn red, is that normal for her age?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks all for your help!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: