1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color of rooster comb, is this normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LegginMF12, Sep 13, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    Is this normal coloring for a roosters comb? It is warm to the touch and no open areas.
    He is a 24 week old Buff Orpington, no sign of illness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    It looks healthy & normal to me. Pretty boy.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Some of my roos get all purple in the comb when they are stressed, it can also mean lack of oxygen or some sort of heart problems sometimes as well. If he is acting normal and healthy then I wouldn't worry about it.

4. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    He very active and doing his duty with the hens (poor girls, he does his duty a lot!) Just wanted be assured this is normal coloring. Thanks!

5. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    My roo's comb looks like that occasionally. It seems to have something to do with how stressed, cold etc he may be that day. I think its normal.

6. EastmanEggs

EastmanEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

My Roo is identical- buff orp too!

He's 23wks old. Very healthy, active, and "active."

I would rest easy, as at first I too heard horror stories about heart problems etc, but he is just fine.

7. MargaretYakoda

MargaretYakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    My hatchery buff orpington cock had that going on... We butchered him last week, and his liver was SHOT. Hard, grey, and all kinds of wrong.
    If this is a hatchery chicken, it might be a genetic defect. But it could also be a sign of many different diseases. Are there any other symptoms? And does he sneeze or make odd noises or anything? Anything at all?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by