Color of this chick? Jade Spalding?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by coloradopeafowl, Jul 10, 2010.

1. coloradopeafowl

coloradopeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    So i had 3 eggs hatch early and didn't get a chance to put them in the hatcher before they hatched.( My hatcher has seperate compartments to put eggs in so the i know what color chicks are in what compartment) One is a normal india blue the other is spalding pied and the other im not sure of. Any thoughts on their color.

on the right is the india blue just to show the color difference.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    The bad thing is every chick picture you take is under the red light and it don't show the colors well at all, it shows a lot of red.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Pied and silver pied black shoulders still are born same as any BS chick- yellow/white color. You only find out if they're pied much later when their feathers grow out... so the answer may be spalding pied for that second chick.

Been a while since I hatched purples.. from what I remember, they do not have black markings on the feathers, they are dark red or brown not black at all. That chick looks like it has black markings on wings.

Here's a purple(notice no black on feathers):

[​IMG]

Same purple in top of pic.. far bottom is a silver pied chick.. the 4 "white or BS chicks" turned out to be 2 black shoulder, one white and one silver pied black shoulder.

[​IMG]

4. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Here i will try it again inside [​IMG]

5. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Ok is this better?[​IMG]
    Could be from my purple blackshoulder silver pieds or jade spaldings. Wierd looking color though! Doesn't look to be purple though because like KEV said they don't have black on their wings. Its the one on the left the one on the right is india blue
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well its not a blackshoulder.

What hen were in the pen with the BS purple sp...... if all were bs ,then it would not be from your bs.

pic of a purple BS chick.....note cream color wing feathers. All bs hatch yellow with color flights...blues get black specks, purple get brown specks as they get older(hens) 2nd chick is a peach pied ,

[​IMG]

7. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    well my mom and dad built a new cage for me while i was out of town and put a lot of my peacocks all in one cage [​IMG] to surprise me. But they didn't realize i didn't want to mix colors. So in the cage this was laid in was on india blue male, one india blue pied male, and one jade male, 4 blue hens, one black shoulder hen, two purple black shoulder silver pied hens, and one jade hen. But doesn't look like india blue, can't be purple due to the black on the wings, not blackshoulder obviously so im really confused. (Come on mom and dad why did you mix them?[​IMG])

8. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:OK if that is the only 2 peacocks(males) unless they are split purple, you will never get any purple, same for BS. No pied either unless hens are split pied. So could be jade, with 3 spalding hens good odds spalding

9. coloradopeafowl

Jun 28, 2010
    Lakewood, CO
    Sorry i meant to say two purple black shoulder silver pied hens not spalding. and there are three males one blue, one blue pied, and one jade. the only hen in there with spalding was my jade hen.

10. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:OK still no purples, you must have a purple male or male split to purple to get any purple. No BS either as no males are bs unless split, both parent have to be bs or split bs.

Now the pied X silver pied will give you pied , whites , dark pieds, some pieds will be white eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by