Color on Silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by T.E.R., Dec 8, 2009.

1. T.E.R.

T.E.R. Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment, FL 32533
    Can anyone tell me what causes gold to come out, around the neck on a black silkie rooster? Is it bad to keep for breeding?

Thanks,
    Tony

2. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I'm sure Sonoran can give you the specifics of it genetically. Its like a leaky black gene. You can have an absolutely perfect speciman and then the gold starts to show up at about 6-8 months of age. It varies in the degree of what it is shown. It will pass on. Any cockerels out of this bird will exhibit the trait. Pullets out of it will carry the trait but not show it.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It is caused by hte lack of sufficient melanizers.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

What about on white? or is he just dirty?

5. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    The yellow tinge or brassiness on white usually comes from feeding yellow corn or sun exposure.

6. T.E.R.

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment, FL 32533
    So should I can him for breeding,he is very awesome bird,one of best around here. Will this dq him at show?

7. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    APA Black Color Standard

Color of Male and Female
    PLUMAGE: The quill and surface of every feather in all sections of the plumage, over the entire body, pure black. The head, hackle, back, saddle, sickles, and the wing bows of the male should have a rich beetle green sheen. The female should also show some brilliance of feather in the head, hackle, back, cushion, and wing bows.

UNDERCOLOR: Dull black.

DISQUALIFICATIONS: More than one appearance of more than one half inch of positive white in any section of the plumage. Any appearance of any other color excepting varying shades of gray in the undercolor in any section of the plumage.

DEFECTS: Purple sheen or purple barring of plumage.

8. destiny_56085

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    So in other words...he would not be acceptable in the show ring. If he is perfect in all other ways then use him very selectively for breeding. You can expect to cull alot of pet quality/off-colored cockerels out of him. You may get some very awesome pullets, but just remember this trait will perpetuate in your flock if you keep those gals back. Finding a totally clear black rooster of good quality is almost like finding a needle in a haystack. It took me a long time and a deep checkbook to find one of them. I have him, 2 of his sons from last year, and also an amazing cockerel on loan from Premier.

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:THnaks, as he's a rescue and I'm in FL likely both- he ranges now in a fenced yard.

10. T.E.R.

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment, FL 32533
    Thanks for the help, I really wanna breed him, I will try to post a pic of him seen what you think Destiny.
    Tony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by