Color possibility?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazySilkieMama, Mar 15, 2017.

1. CrazySilkieMama

CrazySilkieMama Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    I'm new to the Silkie world and just recently acquired 3 1 week old Silkies. I was told that the hen was grey and the roo was partridge (red & white it looked to me but more white) yet my 3 chicks are black. Is this possible cause I had someone tell me it wasn't and now I'm worried I was taken advantage of. [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Could you post pictures? Partridge should NOT be a black chick... Blues, Splashes, Blacks etc could be darker like that ^^

3. AshlyMommaWard

AshlyMommaWard Chillin' With My Peeps

It would be easier to tell you the answer with pictures of the chicks. Did the seller use the exact word "grey" with you when describing the pullet? That alone would discredit them, as that's not the name of any color of silkie, there are blue silkies, splash silkies.. no such thing as a grey. Blue or splash silkie chicks should however have a "grey" to "yellow-white" with a hint of light grey down. partridge chicks should be brown with stripes, or what they call wild type colored.
    I'm sorry you didn't get the color chicks you thought you did, but in my area at least, silkie breeders charge the same amount for different color variety chicks. So hopefully you weren't additionally monetarily scammed.
    You're still welcome to share pictures of your chicks for interpretation.
    Best wishes

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Do you have pictures of the parents?

As for the grey hen, some people refer to silver partridge as grey. Others mistakenly call a solid blue bird a grey. I suspect the hen was the latter (a solid blue).

As for the male, a partridge is brown, gold and red. There should be no white involved.

Partridge crossed with blue results in blue and black offspring. But it sounds like at least one parent may be a mixed color. Pictures would help.

5. CrazySilkieMama

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

These were the "parents"

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  6. CrazySilkieMama

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia

[​IMG]

7. CrazySilkieMama

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

These were the parents

8. CrazySilkieMama

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

These were the "parents"

9. AshlyMommaWard

AshlyMommaWard Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry CrazySilkieMama, I completely misunderstood your original post! I thought you'd asked if the chicks could be grey or partridge. My sincere apologies for the confusion. I still don't know exactly how those two birds resulted in black chicks, genetically speaking. I have no experience with mixed color silkies. I hope someone here with that knowledge can assist you further.
    Best wishes.

10. CrazySilkieMama

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia

It's OK hun....this is all new to me & I'm confused on the color possibility as well. Ive bred American Bullies for years and know that a dilute can't produce black so I wondered if the same went for the Silkies. It's so much info out there that it gets crazy. Thank you for your help though! Hopefully someone will know! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by