Color/Quality Interpretations Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chipmunkridge, Oct 26, 2010.

1. chipmunkridge

chipmunkridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    [​IMG]
    My cochins, cockerels on the left, pullets on the right
    the girls are easy, black and mottled
    the boys are open to interpretation

[​IMG]

Sam, she's elderly, doesn't lay, this is her retirement home. She is shy and skittish; but posed so sweetly that I included her. Feel free to judge her also.
    [​IMG]

My mottled hen, she is younger and more poofy than the others
    [​IMG]

another view of the boys
    [​IMG]

Thanks, I'm tough skinned feel free to be honest. We only show in 4H, and the results there are always random.

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The little Seabright is a cutie. Does she always carry her tail that far forward?

Just guessing on the cochin roos but they look to be partridge and birchen???? I like the carriage on the birchen looking one better.

Your mottled is young yet so should get more white.

3. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    The sebright has good lacing but poor type. The tail is carried too upright. There should be a gentle curve when viewing them from the side. The cochin cockerels have poor markings for both the partridge and birchin pattern, although the birchin is the better of the two. The type on the birchin is also much better.

4. chipmunkridge

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    Thanks for the opinions. Hopefully the colors will develop more as they grow, they are still quite young (3-4 months)
    The sebright usually doesn't carry her tail so high. She has trust issues, and though I give her treats every day, she always eyes me as if she thinks I'm a predator.

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    The color can certainly change if they are this young. One of the most concerning things (aside from the type on the partridge) is the lack of color on the saddle. By the time they are 6-8 months old you should have a much better idea.

6. chipmunkridge

Oct 18, 2010
    Lancaster
    Ok, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by