color question-calling sex link experts!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smiley, Nov 11, 2010.

1. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    If I were to get a buff or red silkie male and white cochin, whit wyandotte, or barred rock females would I always get sex balanced chicks?

2. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Duh...just saw the sex link sticky. Sorry!!!![​IMG]

3. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Ok..after reading through sticky I have a few questions:

1) If I cross a black silkie or black cochin bantam with a barred plymouth rock bantam will the chicks be sex linked?

2) Does it work in bantams?

3) What would a silkie crossed on a feathered bird look like...note:I just picked silkie for disposition and ability to raise chicks.

4) Would a black silkie bantam crossed on the splash silkie (silver/white) produce sex links?

Thanks for any help!!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    1) If I cross a black silkie or black cochin bantam with a barred plymouth rock bantam will the chicks be sex linked?

A pure black rooster over a pure barred hen will produce black sex links. Often black silkies or black cochins are not pure for black but may have something hiding under the black. A barred rooster over a black hen will not produce sex links.

2) Does it work in bantams?

Yes, if the parent stick is pure for color or pattern.

3) What would a silkie crossed on a feathered bird look like...note:I just picked silkie for disposition and ability to raise chicks.

No idea.

4) Would a black silkie bantam crossed on the splash silkie (silver/white) produce sex links?

No. A splash is not silver so it will not work. The black would not work. The rooster would have to have gold and the hen silver for a red sex link. Neither work for this. If the parents are pure, you should get blue.

5. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    I don't know if the colors in Silkies works the same as in RIR and New Hampshire or not. May be worth a try though.

6. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Thank you both for feedback!

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I don't know if this helps you but... I crossed my Sex Link hen and my bantam Red Cochin roo and got this beautiful guy!
    [​IMG]

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:1) Yes, any non barred roo of any breed or mix on any barred hen of any breed or mix will produce sexlinks with barred males and non barred females.

2) Yes, As long as the right genes are present it will work Bantam X Bantam, Bantam X Largefowl, and Largefowl X Largefowl.

3) Silkie feathering is recessive and has to have two copys to be present, so crossing a Silkie feathered bird with a smooth feathered bird will give all smooth feathered offspring with each one carrying one copy of silkie feathering so if they were bred together, 25% of the second generation would be silkie feathered and if they were breed back to a pure silkie bird instead of a sibling, then 50% of them would be silkied.

4) No Black on Splash produces all Blues.

9. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Quote:Awwww....very cute!!!!! Thanks for posting the photo!!

10. smiley

Jun 25, 2007
    Quote:1) Yes, any non barred roo of any breed or mix on any barred hen of any breed or mix will produce sexlinks with barred males and non barred females.

2) Yes, As long as the right genes are present it will work Bantam X Bantam, Bantam X Largefowl, and Largefowl X Largefowl.

3) Silkie feathering is recessive and has to have two copys to be present, so crossing a Silkie feathered bird with a smooth feathered bird will give all smooth feathered offspring with each one carrying one copy of silkie feathering so if they were bred together, 25% of the second generation would be silkie feathered and if they were breed back to a pure silkie bird instead of a sibling, then 50% of them would be silkied.

4) No Black on Splash produces all Blues.

Wow! Thanks for answering all of my questions!! Very much appreciated......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by