1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Color Question Please! Favaucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Squishy, May 30, 2014.

1. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Hi! We have 4 little 3 week old chicks. We know their breeding, but have become a little curious about their colors. They are the result of a Salmon Faverolle roo over some pure Ameraucana ladies, one is a blue, and the other silver.

The chicks the breeder hatched were blue, black, and a bunch of "wheaten type" she called them.

We got one blue, 2 black, and now that they are a bit older we are wondering about this one little "wheaten type" one. They all have small touches of red/brown color on their faces.... maybe a recessive gene from the salmon roo??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a bunch for your help!

2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

:) this one looks like it kept a lot of the salmon color, is that brown/black barring on the wings or are my eyes deciving me?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    It looks black to us. If its barring, what will that mean later?
    We haven't had that many chickens before, so we sure appreciate your help! :D

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What you're seeing isn't barring, it's a stage of juvenile plumage wheaton or wild-type chicks can go through on their way to big bird feathers.

I'm not sure what your question was...is it how the chicks is going to look when it's feathered? If so, it's likely going to be a wheaton or wild type coloring. When you mix two colors, you often don't get a specific color in the offspring.

5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I'm not really sure and I don't want to tell you something and it not be true. But I will say that it hasn't grown into its adult feathers yet and the look could completely change. But then again I've always heard that the barring on birds usually stays. But then again the barring doesn't usually present itself until a few weeks after hatch. I'm just not sure what to tell ya, and I sure did say sure and but a lot! :)

6. MaiseyMay

MaiseyMay Out Of The Brooder

I can't help you with the chick in the photo, but here's what your dark chicks will look like at 9 weeks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are my two Blue Favaucanas, Loorah and Josie, from MPC, hatched on 3/31/14. They are friendly and curious and eat like there's no tomorrow! I can't wait to see what they will look like in another couple of months!

7. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my own mix of Lavender Ameraucana and Salmon Faverolle. She is so pretty - the Black color comes from the Lavender as Lav is a special dilution gene of Black :) I love her iridescent feathers. She should be laying any day now. I am getting some new darker green eggs but I can not be sure yet they are from her. Her name is Bountiful.

[​IMG]

8. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

These are a Faverolle mixed with a Wybar-like hybrid I created with Crested Cream Legbar and Golden Laced Wyandotte. They are my other guess for the pretty green egg :) Five and Amber. I REALLY love faverolle mixes :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I'd really like to see what your chick turned into Squishy.

Here's mine that I think may be ameraucana faverolle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. autumnhearth

autumnhearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Berea, Ohio
    Any recent pics from the chicks above? I love Favaucanas and other Faverolles mixes. There is limited availability on MPC for both color types but we already ordered from Meyer and I can't convince my husband to let us have more. One day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by