1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

color question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by verity, Dec 12, 2008.

1. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Would someone please explain what a 'splash' color is??? Especially the 'blue splash' -- how is this supposed to look?

I have pictured 'splash' as being sort of like an Appaloosa horse but obviously 'that ain't it!!!!'

thanks!

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Splash is a white base with "splashes" of color. Almost looks like someone took a paint brush and put streaks on them. Heres a splash hen:

[​IMG]

Blue splash is white with blue streaks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  3. verity

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Wow! I WANT one! I have a frizzle that was described as 'dilute blue splash' -- she is lovely but is more of a solid pale silver color --

Your chicken is beautiful --

Thank you!

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You're welcome! But, it's not my hen. She was on feathersite.com. You can find more photos than you can have time to look at on their website. It's a lot of fun to see all the different breeds.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Quote:What breed is your dilute blue splash frizzle? I would LOVE to see a picture of her!

6. verity

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    she is a young bantam Cochin -- cute as can be --

it's been years since we have had pet chickens and I am having so much fun learning about the different breeds and colors --

I bought 'Miz Frizz' three weeks ago at a chicken show --
    couldn't resist -- :)

I'll try to get our son to do a 'photo shoot' when he comes next week --

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by