Color(s) to Paint the Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenfamilyfarms, Dec 12, 2010.

1. White

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Barn Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. John Deere Green

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yellow (any shade)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other - Please specify.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Our tin coop needs to be painted. The tin is starting to rust a little and it won't take long for it to look really terrible. Vote for the color you think we should paint it. Your input is appreciated! [​IMG]

ETA Picture:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Got a pic that shows more of the surroundings? That will influence my color choice, because if you don't have much natural shade, I wouldn't pick something dark. And if it is in deep shade, white will show mildew.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:The coop is in a chainlink kennel (which we are also thinking of painting, but that would be a nightmare I'm afraid...). We have some very small trees that we are going to plant on 1 side of the kennel in the next couple of weeks. On the backside of the kennel is the goat pasture. On the other 3 sides is grass. We have blueberry bushes about 20 feet from the front of the kennel.

I'll try to get a better picture this afternoon once the rain stops. Thanks!

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Since you are in North Carolina and the shed is metal ~ I think that I would go with a light color to prevent excessive heat in the shed during the summer.

5. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    A general idea of some possibilities...

[​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I like the natural tin look, so I would just find some spray paint the same color and paint the rust.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

All but one of my coops are painted the darker barn red color. I love that. I think that color works well for chicken coops.

8. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I like a dark color, seems to hold more heat and is warm in the winter. Summer is warmer too but the chickens are outside in the run all day then anyway!

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Wow! That's cool! Thank you for that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by