Color Sex-Linkage and Other Genetics Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wild Rooster, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Wild Rooster

Wild Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Michigan
    I have a backyard egg laying flock that i want to let inter breed. The flock consists of 1 Barred Rock Rooster, 2 Barred Rock Hens, 2 Rhode Island Red Hens, and 4 EE Hens(2 are a red-ish partridge with orange neck lacing, 1 is buff with gray close penciling on her body, 1 is buff with black lacing). So what i want to know is what do you think will happen? Will the chicks be Sex-linked? What color should i expect? What egg color should i expect? Any feedback you want to give.

Here is the plan:

Foundation:
    breed at 2 years old
    keep 16 hens

2 gen:
    new roo. breed at 2 years.
    keep 16 hens

3 gen:
    new roo. breed at 2 years.
    keep 16 hens

Ect.... the new roosters will be either Old English Games or some other broody colorful breed.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    All of the offspring (male and female) will be barred.
    Hens out of the Barred Rock Hens and the Rhode Island Red will lay Brown eggs, Hens out of the EE could lay either Brown or dirty Green color.

Chris

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, your barred rock roo will pass on barring in some form or another to all his babies. No sex linkage. You may get some pretty red barred birds, and my barred/ee crosses have had some pretty colors. The amount of barring seems to vary, also.

My brown layer/green layer crosses lay a khaki/muddy green egg, most of them.

4. Wild Rooster

Wild Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Thank you both. That helps a lot. You get a hug. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by