color/sex? splash?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cleigh9579, Sep 29, 2010.

1. cleigh9579

cleigh9579 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    arlington TX
    I have two 4 week old chicks that i am curious about. I bought a mix bunch of chicks from a back yard flock. Was told EE & BO and a mix of the two. So what color you think they are and are they considered splash? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] any help would be great.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Wait, found this:

Mottled feathers have a variable percentage of black feathers that are tipped with white.

Peppered feathers are sprinkled with small dots of black or gray and are a defect.

The Spangled feather has a distinct marking of contrasting color at the extremity of a feather, proximally shaped like a well defined 'V' with a rounded end in some varieties and curved sides or pear-shaped in other varieties. Others are half-moon shaped. The spangle always are black in color and are found in combination with silver or gold ground color or white in color and separated from bay or brown ground color by a black bar. Spangling can be diagonal elongated black marking on the web.

Splashed feathers are ones that have irregular splashes of contrasting color. This occurs in spangled and mottled varieties.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They are neither splash or mottled, they are just fuzzy reds. Most likely they are red-sexlink pullets. Red sex-links are mostly red with white mixed in. At least they're girls [​IMG]

ETA: This is splash: [​IMG]

This is mottled: [​IMG]

Apparently I don't have a pic of my spangle, or I'd post it too [​IMG]

4. cleigh9579

cleigh9579 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    arlington TX
    Thank you so much! Girls. Yip pee!

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What they said. These are just, as you'd guess, Easter Egger crosses - They're going to be solid orange colored, trust me. [​IMG]

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Hard to tell from the pics, but IMO I would say the bottom chick is a roo. It has a roo stance and what looks like the beginnings of a curved tail. Hopefully someone else will come a long and disagree with me for your sake. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You've already been disagreed with, but I'll do it again [​IMG] Those are red sex-link pullets, the roos of that 'breed' are mostly (totally except for a few red spots) white [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    All of them are red sex link pullets. Lucky for you they are egg laying machines!

9. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    I have a red sex link who is now laying - hatched around Easter. She's a sweet bird and HUGE eggs! Those pics look a lot like her when she was that age.

10. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    this is a spangle
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by