Color Sexing EE's (lots of pics!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kimchick621, Oct 16, 2013.

1. kimchick621

kimchick621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2012
    I don't know if this has been posted about before, but..I'm a newbie and this is my very first hatch. I'm hoping to breed olive eggers, and I've read that you can learn to color sex them when they're quite young. I'm pretty sure mine might be too young to sex, but I have some suspicions already and would love some experienced thoughts. My first batch as of today is between 9-10 days old. I hope to update the thread as they mature and it's easier of course to tell their sex. Here they are!!

1. This is the first one to hatch. I named it Spot, and I've read the multi colors on the fluff can hint to it's sex (roo). However I've also read that being so young with the dark legs is indicative to being a gal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. This fella has got some red on it's head, it's papa is a beautiful red roo who's a EE/Copper Maran mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. This dark fella was a surprise. It's mother is pure white, so to have such a dark thing hatch was a shock. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. I have a few grey ones. I'm having trouble telling them apart from the rest...so hopefully I don't get them mixed up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sexing by color depends on feathers, not down. This group is too young to tell at this point, sorry. Lots can change from down to juvenile plumage, and then from juvvie plumage to adult. Try again around 6ish weeks when they're feathered.

On the first bird where you mentioned the dark legs indicating female--that's only on barred breeds as far as I know, and it's not dark legs overall but a "wash" of dark color down the front of an otherwise yellow leg. So no help there, either.

What crosses are you using for the Olive eggers? Do you have a pic of your rooster?

1 person likes this.
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2 Post pics in a few weeks, and then a few weeks later.

EE's come in all colors and patterns because they are mutts...Ameraucana or Araucana blood on one side and any other chicken breed on the other...so the patterns and colors are unlimited.

Generally, patchy colors, and often red on the wing bows, will indicate a roo while even patterns a female...but that is only on the adult feathers.

I've had one bird change pattern and colors almost weekly leaving me guessing as to what she would eventually look like. It is amazing the changes they can go through.

There is a great sexing EE thread on BYC here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

Cute chicks. Enjoy the fuzzy phase. It's over soon.

Lady of McCamley

4. kimchick621

Oct 23, 2012
    Thanks so much for the insight guys. Here's a picture of papa. He's possibly one of the best roo's I've ever had. A gentleman to the end, and never aggressive. I recently had to give him to a friend to appease some neighbors, he was loud. I told them I would not be giving up one of his sons though. Isn't he handsome? He's half copper maran, half easter egger. :)

[​IMG]

5. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    What do you think is he a male

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

6. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan

• That's a female. Male Easter Eggers don't come in that color, and that is one of the most common female pattern. :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh he is pretty!

I'm sure thinking to add a red/gold based EE roo to my flock next spring. I've done the barred thing and am looking for something different, and just love those Easter eggers!

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    What hens is he crossed with? He may not give you any green egglayers at all. Since his heritage is EE x Marans, he might not have received any blue egg genes. He *probably* did, based on the comb and beard, but he may not have. Also, if he's not covering blue egg laying hens, then only 50% of his offpring will lay green eggs, and of those, unless he's crossed with more Marans or other dark egg-laying breeds, they won't lay olive eggs. It will get even more complicated in the next generation.

Also, I agree with everything donrae said. I usually do. [​IMG]

9. kimchick621

Oct 23, 2012
    I crossed him with blue egg laying EE's. All these chicks hatched out of blue eggs. I considered that he might not have received the blue egg gene, but all the momma's do. :)

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Stuff gets so fuzzy once you get those brown coating genes in there. You could get 1/2 blue egg layers and 1/2 olive eggers, or 1/2 "regular" green egg layers and 1/2 olive layers. Probably. You might also get some blue egg layers in there depending on what brown coating genes he has and how those are inherited. That's if he carries one blue egg gene and one white egg gene, plus the brown coating genes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by