Color Sexing must not be 100% sure

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoldenCometLady, Jun 21, 2010.

1. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    In March I bought 12 Golden Comet pullets from TSC.
    I had no desire to have a rooster. Well I sure have one
    He is the same color of the hens so that is how he snuck in.
    Darn and double darn. We have had no crowing so hoped
    against all hope it would still be a hen. Dumb me.

If it looks like a rooster, walks like a rooster and acts like a rooster
    It sure must be one. He just had his way with one on the hens
    this morning.

Have any of you had experince with the color sexing going wrong.

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Are you sure he wasn't a production red that got put back in the wrong bin after someone picked him up? I don't think sexing can go wrong with sex-links, as they are bred to be sexed at hatch.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We raise sex links and they don't go wrong..sounds like something else was "misplaced" into the bin of chicks.He should be mostly white with just some color splashed in here and there as he gets older if he were a sex link roo..if he's mostly red then as the other poster already said possibly production red but would really need to see pics of them.

4. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well I hope the one you thought was a she that
    might be a he is a she [​IMG]
    Hey J [​IMG]

5. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    post some pics of him. im really curious if he is a production red or other similar bird that got mixed up with the sex links.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    The only thing I can think of is if he/she has 3 sex chromosomes then you might have ended up with a chicken that is both male and female.

7. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    I purchased 6 black sex-link chicks from TSC in April. One was all dark with black legs and beak, the other 5 had light spots on the top of their heads and yellow legs and light beaks. My all dark chick turned into a beautiful rooster with blue-black feathers and gold highlights on his shoulders. The chicks with the light spots on their head all turned with a barred rock feather pattern. Two of them are roosters and 3 of them are pullets. Go Figure???????????

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:You were not sold sexlinks at all.

Barred Rock chicks are dark with light spots on their heads and yellow legs. Male and Female.
    Black Sexlink chicks are half BR and look similar, but the females are without the white spot on their heads.
    Since both sexes of yours DID have the white heads they were NOT sexlinked but rather plain old Barred Rocks.

As for the solid black chick, that is another breed entirely. [​IMG]

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I picked up a black sexlink "pullet" from my local feed store and now she eeerrr he is crowing.

10. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my all-dark (so-called black sex-link) chick at about 11 weeks. (April baby) The black and white ones came with him and had light spots on the tops of their heads. Any idea what kind of rooster he is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by