Color terminology

hallerlake

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Seattle
Sometimes in reading, I come across terms like porcelain or partridge to describe colors. I don't know what they mean. Is there a site where I can look this stuff up?

To make it even more confusing some colors are referred to differently depending on the breed. For instance black body with metallic green tail feathers and red markings is usually called partridge, like a partridge cochin or partridge rock. However, OEG people call it black breasted red. Silver penciled is sometimes called silver partridge or simply "dark".

Until I saw the replies I thought you meant reading, as in books... fiction and whatnot.

I have to google references occasionally, particularly when reading older books.
Usually context clues help sort it out, but sometimes it's just plain goofy.

OR if they refer to specific dishes, tableclothes, type of cut on clothing.

Google is a beautiful thing.

Quote:
No, I meant when reading here in BYC. I've figured out what blue, and lavender mean, but not porcelain or partridge.

Quote:
You know as well as I do what will come up if I google porcelain chicken.
hmm.png

porcelain is a bleached out Mille fleur color straw, blue and a white tip

partridge, is harder to explain because the boys and the girls are different, in general the girls are a red/brown with black penciling

if you can get your hands on a copy of 'storey's illustrated guide to Poultry Breeds' they have a great description of most of the color and patterns of chickens, pic's too

Back
Top Bottom