Color Type and Breed of Rooster

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
I was just wondering if anyone could give me some more information on the color type and possibly, breed of Big Moe. On Craigslist he was listed as an Araucana, but I believe he something like an Ameraucana or Easter Egger.

Last edited:
he could be a tailed and none tifted araucana but i highly doubt that pretty sure he is probably an ee and he has a columbian coloring to him

I've also wondered what his offspring could be like depending on if he carries Ameraucana genes; could hens have muffs or beards and/or lay green/blue eggs? Could the gene to have a muff/beard be recessive in Big Moe and possibly be dominant in offspring?

most likely if he were a hen he would lay green/blue eggs...if you breed him to another green/blue egg layer then his offspring hens would lay green/blue eggs...if you were to mix him with a dark brown egg layer such as a welsummer or maran his offspring will lay olive colored egg..they are called Olive eggers...Olive eggers are pretty popular right now

I've also wondered what his offspring could be like depending on if he carries Ameraucana genes; could hens have muffs or beards and/or lay green/blue eggs? Could the gene to have a muff/beard be recessive in Big Moe and possibly be dominant in offspring?
The muff and beard is dominant so no babies with puffy cheeks. Judging by his clean face, he's either at least 2 generations removed from an Ameraucana or the EE part comes from a true Araucana.

His pattern is a Columbian or maybe I might call him a Cream Columbian as a descriptor. Neither the Araucana nor the Ameraucana has Columbian as a color pattern so that came from somewhere else. An example of a clean legged Columbian patterned bird would be Light Sussex. The interesting thing about him is that he doesn't have any red feathers bleeding through on his wings. In the few rooster crosses with Columbian pattern I have produced, the first generation has always had red bleed to some degree on the wings. I would not make any assumptions on whether he would pass a blue egg gene on to his babies since you don't know how far removed he is from the original stock.

Thanks for the information everyone! I searched up pictures of Light Sussex roosters and the hackle, saddle and tail feathers on some of them are almost identical to Big Moe's. Would his grey legs come from Ameraucana genes?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom