1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

color vs. b&w APA standard of perfection

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by cowboyhunt, Dec 24, 2014.

1. cowboyhunt

cowboyhunt Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Bryson city, nc
    Hi I am getting ready to order a copy of the APA Standard of Perfection. My question is should I get the color version or the black & white. Is the color fersion wort the extra $45 investment. I don't mind paying but if the b&w is just as good i would rather save the cash.thanks

2. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    It really depends on why you want the book. If you only want it for the information provided by the written word, then the B&W is fine. If you only are interested in a breed that has black and/or white feathers, and don't anticipate ever wanting any other color or breed in the future, then the B&W is fine. But if you think that you would get benefit from the color pictures (they're drawings, but quite good ones) then the color version would be best. Plus, the color version is wonderful just to look through and let your imagination run wild. But it really comes down to what you need vs how much you are willing to spend for the extra perk of seeing a bird's ideal color.

One benefit that I could see of the B&W version is that all breeds would look somewhat alike other than pattern and shape. So if you are a new breeder and want to train your eye to the proper conformation of an individual breed, seeing so many subtle differences in one place, without the obvious distraction of color, could help you develop that skill a little faster.

2 people like this.
  3. Silseb

Silseb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Color one is better. And more fun to show your friends.

4. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Unless you can find a used one the B&W standard has been out of print for several years.

5. cowboyhunt

Jun 17, 2014
    Bryson city, nc
    I did not know it was out of print they still show it on the apa website. Thank you for telling me that makes the decision alot easier. Lol

6. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I see a B&W Standard illustration book. This is a book of illustrations only and does not contain any text. This appears to be a little confusing.

7. Sydney Acres

Sydney Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Western WA
    Yes, quite confusing. People might order it thinking they are getting an inexpensive version of the SOP.

8. cowboyhunt

Jun 17, 2014
    Bryson city, nc
    you are right I didn't look at it that close. I am glad you caught that. I guess I will spring for the color version. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by