color?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by farmerChef, Oct 25, 2011.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    It only has a few pearled feathers on side of body and over wings. Neck feathers almost look laced? Is it just a cross between a pearled and nonpearled, or is this what a non pearled looks like? It also has white skin down the back of the neck instead of black.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    I can tell that he is a partially pearled color.
    Looks like it might be a Chocolate. Maybe Blonde?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Some of its wing feathers are either very light tan or white. I also have 2 more the same color, but they are pearled. Here's a pic of the darkest one
    [​IMG]

4. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    The partially pearled one might be a Buff and the fully pearled ones look like Buff Dundotte or Browns.
    Here is one of my Buff hens.(partially pearled)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    The first Guinea looks like a Blonde to me, (because IMO it looks too light to be a Chocolate, and too dark to be a Buff), and GuineaLady93 is correct it is partially pearled (dotting in the flank area and barring on the wings).

Non pearled birds are just that... non pearled, solid color. Pearling and barring are completely absent. There typically aren't crosses between the degrees or varieties of pearling... they are either fully pearled, partially pearled/semi pearled or non pearled/solid. Guineas can have the same base/background color, but have different degrees of pearling, which besides color is what gives each variety a new name. A simple example: Pearl Grey is fully pearled, Royal Purple is partially pearled, and Violet in non pearled. All 3 are basically the same background color, but all 3 have different degrees of pearling.

Maybe this chart will help you understand what I'm trying to explain... it displays most of the colors in a chart divided into columns, with all the color names divided into the 3 degrees of pearling. It's missing quite a few pics, and there are a few discrepancies on it, but it's a fairly decent/accurate chart. (I have yet to find a 100% accurate Guinea Fowl Color Chart online or in a book... but there are lots of color charts out there, so the best way to get the general idea of a color and how it should look is to compare multiple charts).

The most recent pic you posted of the fully pearled birds... Lavender is on the left and Brown is on the right. (Some breeders would call color that a Cinnamon tho).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by