Color

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by guineaguy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. guineaguy

guineaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG] so peeps we went the route of comparing the bronze to a purple but I swear this boy is losing all the black feathers and getting more brown ones is this possible I took this pic of him next to a bronze hen big difference in the shade of black.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    My Bronzes aren't nearly as brown/bronze as yours, and mine are all from the same bloodline... so I really have no experience with how much they can change from molt to molt. The back and wings do change a lot on mine season to season and each time they molt, but their flank feathers always stay dark. The Royal Purples go thru a lot of color changes too. Are the 2 birds in your pic from the same bloodline, or from different sources?

3. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    Think same, I see he is getting brown flank feathers in with the black. He is still mounting flight feathers as well. He is last years hatch july ish guess I always thought once black always black but guineas always change that way of thinking. Could he carry bronze and chocolate ?

4. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG]the one on far right opaline when I first got him

5. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG]and now big changes from guineas I think.

6. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    Dang auto spell should of said moulting flight feathers

7. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    I'm not sure what your Bronze male is doing... you'll need to test breed him, to see what he is carrying. if he is carrying Chocolate genes they will show up in the hatches if he's bred with a Chocolate or Blonde Hen.

Your Opaline looks more like a Lite Blue to me... Opalines only have a pale blue/grey tint to the feathers... they are more like a dingy off-white color. Your boy's upper wing feathers and flank feathers are pretty distinct blue. Lite Blue is in between Coral Blue and Opaline.

He's gorgeous tho, and he still carries both the tan and buff genes.

8. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    Lol his color changes with the light that's the best pic I've gotten of the opaline or lt blue most time he looks like smutty buff dirty grey sometimes he's gorgeous others just dirty ugly.

9. guineaguy

Dec 3, 2012
    Another thing my royal purple hen has lost all her semi pearling in her flanks but still has some barring on her chest/front legs I have never seen a good pic of violets semi cant change into nons with little barring? I know this line of rps will throw violets.

10. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Younger partially-pearled birds typically will have a lot more pearling than mature birds will... but I've never heard of any partially-pearled birds losing all of the pearling in their flank feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by