Coloradan new To chickens and Excited!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marianellis, Apr 16, 2016.

1. marianellis

marianellis New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    Hey everyone! [​IMG]

I Just signed up here in backyardchickens and I am excited to start with this chicken adventure.

I live in unincorporated El Paso County, Colorado. (Falcon, East of Colorado Springs) and we are allowed by the county a "Reasonable amount of Chickens" (which I don't know how much that would be, so I decided it would be 10..lol [​IMG]) no Rooster tho.

I went to buy 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 3 Ameracaunas (which according to what I read they are probably Easter egger mutts, which I am totally fine with) 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Plymouth Barred Rock.

They are sitting in the garage now in their brooder as we speak... Hopefully it is nice outside by the time we need to move them out to the outside world of my back yard... lol They told me they are very tolerant to cold and that They should be ok with the Colorado's Bipolar weather[​IMG]. Yesterday it was in the upper 60's and right now there is a winter weather advisory with snow and 70,mh winds! [​IMG] So I'm trying to make my coop as wind proof as I can.

I have 2 toddlers and a husband that are participating with the chick rearing and trying to tame them into being held and cuddled...lol my chicks are barely 3 weeks old and I have learned who is who and the huge differences in their personalities and characters. My orpingtons run to me when I get close to the brooder and jump into my hand when I offer it. My easter eggers seem to not want to have anything to do with me...lol the Silver laced dotties are the most curious ones... always silently watching what I am doing. Mostly trying to figure out if they should run or stay because there might be food involved if they stay...lol the barred rocks flap their arms and run all over the place when they see me coming. I just love Chick TV! lol [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm really excited to be part of this community and impressed of how many ppl are involved in chicken keeping and of how useful this webpage has been to us.

Looking forward to chatting with you all here and in the facebook page.

Marian Ellis
    Falcon, Colorado[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have some adorable babies! Yes, your birds will adapt to your wild weather and temp changes. Once they have grown up, come this fall, their bodies will learn how to cope with all that comes at them over the winters and such. Make sure to give them a good coop with plenty of ventilation. Vent space is very important, even in -40 degrees Fahrenheit, to wisk away all the moisture that the chickens put out from breathing and pooping. It will all rise to the ceiling of the coop and needs to escape or it will fall back down as frost on the birds in the winter chilling them terribly. They will not need heat in the winter. Let them outside in all weather and let them choose if they want to be inside or out, and this will allow their bodies to adapt to any temperature, hot or cold.

You might stop by our learning center for all kinds of good articles on all aspects of keeping chickens and other poultry.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey!! Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Marian, welcome to Backyard chickens. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Marian and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

6. Amby11

Amby11 New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Hi, Marian! I live downtown Colorado Springs, am new to chickens as well ( we have 3 Easter Egger chicks right now[​IMG]), and also have 2 toddlers!! We are looking to move to the unincorporated area of El Paso County as well at the first of the year so that our "urban farm" can be an actual farm. I just joined here yesterday as well. So nice to meet you here[​IMG]

7. cluckylady812

cluckylady812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the site! Im south of you, in fremont county. Congrats on your new babies.! Ive only had mine a year, but chicken math gets you, i started with 8, then got 5 more. Then ducks. Well then i was at TSC, and they had cornish cross , so i got a dozen lol. Now we've recently added bantams and turkeys.
    So fair warning, chickens are addictive, and so much more fun than I expected. They also are a gateway drug to other poultry it seems.
    This site is just full of experienced kind folks, who are so helpful and patient with the newbies. Ask lots of questions, learn all you can and have a fantastic chicken adventure!

8. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Who doesn't enjoy chicken tv?

Each one will have their own personality and quirks.
    Just set back and enjoy the show.

Glad you're with us.

Spook

9. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Marian! Chicken tv is the best...sounds like you're having fun with your new flock!

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Have to smile at the "reasonable amount of chickens" - talk about open to interpretation (as I can attest given my husbands idea of a reasonable amount and my own, lol). So glad to have you joining us, look forward to hearing all about your venture into chicken keeping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by