Colorado Chicks in Spring

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by HogbackMtnChickns, Dec 1, 2010.

1. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Hi. I am new to BYC, and new to chickens. I have learned a lot from reading the forum. This is my first post. I plan to raise day old chicks starting this spring. I want to start with 6 laying hens. I want to buy my chicks in Colorado so they do not have to hazard the post office in my rural area.

I would like a mix of buff orpingtons, partridge rocks, and silver-laced wyandottes (but I am somewhat flexible). I live on 30 acres in the mountains along the Colorado River, and need girls who can handle the cold. I like the looks of these breeds, and want to try a couple of each. My husband, a fly-fishing fanatic, wants to try a few bantam brahmas for fly-tying.

Has anyone bought chicks from Fulenwider in Hudson, CO? They have a nice variety listed on their website, but have not responded to my email inquiry about availability. Does anyone anticipate having the chicks I am looking for in May? I am prepared to do some driving to the Front Range, but am hoping for one-stop chick shopping. Any suggestions for other breeders/hatcheries?

It is very reassuring to have this wealth of information available as I get ready to gather my flock.

Thank you!

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Thanks, Ghillie. I will do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by