Colorado hopeful...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KirbyKat, Feb 23, 2014.

1. KirbyKat

KirbyKat New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Front Range of Colorado
    Hi everyone!

I am "freshly hatched" to this community.

Please keep your "collective" fingers crossed that the City of Aurora, Colorado votes to change their ordinances to allow chickens! The City Council will vote again tomorrow night. We're so close...

Yep, urban chickens might just be the latest buzz besides the legalization of Pot in this state. ha-ha.

I have been wanting my own small flock since I was a little girl growing up in rural Maryland... A hundred years ago. Or so it seems. At the time my family had a homestead flock of Leghorn birds. As far as I can remember perhaps 11-14 hens at the time.

Local predators, weasels, skunks and the sly red fox, did a number on our flock several times. I wish my parents had access to the internet and this website. However the web was not even in our vocabulary at that time. I guess they did their best.

Anyway, my husband and I have a great- prefab, stationary, insulated coop, (with power) selected. Birds which are cold hardy have been narrowed down to as well. The location within our small back yard, but "larger than most in our hood" has also been selected. I'm very handy with tools so a nice run will be a breeze.

All we need is the okay from both our City council and HOA. Since there are currently no restrictions on our HOA books we hope to "beat them to the punch" and obtain our little pullets, submit our plans for approval fast enough to make their heads spin. ;)

BTW, we also have 4 very spoiled, senior(ish) felines who have access to our back yard- but only our back yard via a small pet restrictive electrical fence atop our common area and privacy fence. We love our girls!

We're very anxious to share our own fun stories and pictures with all of you!

Cheers,
    KirbyKat

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck getting the OK to have chickens from your CC and HOA!

4. KirbyKat

KirbyKat New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Front Range of Colorado
    Thank you, thank you!

Yes, we're hopeful. We plan to attend the meeting tomorrow night. Our CC only needs ONE more council member's vote to over turn the current ordnance. There is a huge advocacy group here in Aurora- There is hope. :)

I can hear the eggs hatching already... (big hopeful grins)

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Kirby Kat, [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

Wish you well on your ordinance change for chickens [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd think legalized chickens are much better for a community than pot. But what do I know?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  7. KirbyKat

KirbyKat New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Front Range of Colorado
    IT PASSED!!

My husband and I attended the City Council meeting and we delighted to see over 85 chicken advocates. We got to address the council with our desires as did several others. Bottom line. The city of Aurora Colorado can have up to 4 hens.

Just this morning our request went to our HOA with pictures, run and coop design along with an article from the Denver Post. So please keep all fingers crossed we attempt to jump this next hurtle.

Updates as they happen. Thanks for all the welcomes too. :)

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]GLAD YOU JOINED ALL OF US!

9. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats and welcome to BYC. Be sure to drop by the Colorado thread at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado/18700#post_12912704. Lots of active chicken folks there to assist or just talk about chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by