1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colorado Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken Chalet, May 26, 2015.

1. Chicken Chalet

Chicken Chalet New Egg

May 26, 2015
    Colorado
    New to BYC and to chickens from Colorado. We currently have 5 chicks ranging in age from 8 to 6 weeks old. One sex link, four Wyandottes and one bantam. I will be posting soon with photos to see what everyone thinks about their sexes as I believe we have a couple roos.

I've been stalking this site for months learning as much as I could and I thank you all for the info! This site has been a great resource in our adventure.

We are currently finishing our coop, with many recommendations I have gathered from here and Pintrest. Feeling excited to get the little ones out of the basement and into their coop. Our challenges, living in the foothills of Colorado are cold, wind, coyotes, fox, raccoon and of course bear. The last people to live at our house lost their chickens twice to the residential bear so they tore their coop down. Hoping we have some better luck.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Many of us were lurkers before joining up, I was one for 2 years before I took the plunge and signed up. You have a lovely mix of birds there and I sincerely hope you can keep them safe from the predators. Have you dropped by the predator and pest section of the forum? I'm sure there will be lots members there who will be able to help you with tips on making your coop and run predator proof. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests
    I know @Mountain Peeps is from Colorado maybe she will be able to help you too.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Do post on your state thread for the best information on predators, what breeds do best in your climate, type of coop needed to withstand weather extremes. I don't really think anything stands up to bears, I would just make tracks and get the heck outta there. You are MUCH braver than I am.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Definitely do some chatting with @Mountain Peeps She lives in Colorado as well and has dealt with her share of bears!

You can also stop by your state thread and chat with your other neighbors about what they do about the predators or your cold winters...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. The best defense against bears is an electric fence and a couple of good guard dogs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. You should be able to tell the gender of your Sex Link by color. Do you have a Black Sex Link or a Red Sex Link?

7. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    :frow welcome to BYC !!

8. Chicken Chalet

Chicken Chalet New Egg

May 26, 2015
    Colorado
    We have a red sex link. She is one I am sure is a hen. haha

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    That's one of the definitely advantages of Sex Links. Another is that they are egg laying machines. You should get loads of eggs from that girl. :eek:)

10. Ozzy68

Ozzy68 New Egg

Oct 31, 2015
    Pine, Colorado
    Hi there. I know about bears. One actually opened the door on my truck and got a bag of dog food out of the rear floor board. Anyways, I have electric fence around my coop and als motion light on the outside. So far the Bears, coyotes and foxes haven't been a problem. I did lose one hen to a hawk, but now I have aviary netting over to outside run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by