Colorado Springs - 4 birds need homes *SOLD*

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chicknsnbiskits, Nov 10, 2008.

1. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Ok, here's the deal...

We got 8 chicks in June (hatched May 30 at McMurray), set up a coop/run for them, and have been loving it! However, our Family Council recently decided that, well, their area looked a lot bigger when they were a lot smaller. We don't want them to be crowded.

Also... we recently discovered that one of our "pullets" must be a rooster, because we have DEFINITE bullseyes in our eggs. I have no idea which one is the roo. [​IMG] Roos are illegal here, so we're also culling to that end. "He" is not crowing yet.

So... we now have 4 chickens to find new homes for. I have no idea what is a fair price for a 5 1/2 month old bird, but I trust people here to give me a fair price (we also accept pellets/scratch/oyster shell/shavings as trade commodities) [​IMG]

Having never posted pics before, here we go!!!
    (Oh, and BTW, that stuff they're standing in/eating is a pumpkin pie that I forgot to add sugar to... so it's just pumpkin. Kids said [​IMG] but the birds loved it)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Meet Tawny! I think she's a RIR or some variety of Red Sexlink. She's very sweet. Good behavior.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meet Raven! (looked like a crow as a chick, hence the name) I don't know what breed, and I'm not even sure she's a she... Any ideas? Very curious, likes to explore places and new people.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meet Mahogany! Again, no idea what breed, or even gender. I'd love to hear your input! Mahogany is well-behaved, and fairly noisy. Her "twin" is laying pretty light-brown eggs most days, and has a squishy-looking short comb. (I wish I knew more chicken terms)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Meet Kim! (yeah, named by my 7yr old) I'm pretty sure she's a silver spangled Hamburg. Very well behaved, a little skittish.

These are all good girls... except whoever is a boy, of course. [​IMG]

So, any takers?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmmmmmm. man i am so tempted. especially the white one....

3. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    [​IMG]
    Good! Good! Be tempted! [​IMG] lol

What do you think is fair asking price for them?

4. mrsengeseth

oh, gosh, i don't have a clue. people on craigslist go anywhere from 4.00 for chicks to 12 for adult birds( or more), but where i don't have a clue about gender etc, i couldn't venture a guess.

I'd be willing to try a trade of silkies if you wanted. [​IMG] Otherwise, i gotta wait and see what you decide to price em at.

5. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    How about $6 each?
    They're expected to start laying in late November/early December. 3 of the others are already laying, so it could be any time.
    Of course, egg-laying won't apply to the rooster, when we figure out who that is. [​IMG]

6. mrsengeseth

hmmmm, how to sneak in another hen without dh noticing.....

if i can figure out how to get her past dh, you have sold the white one. [​IMG]

7. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    um... put it in his Christmas stocking? [​IMG]

8. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Are these the four you are selling? If they are, they all look like pullets to me. You might be keeping the rooster. Do you have any pictures of the other four? For pullets I get $15 a piece where I'm at.

9. chicknsnbiskits

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    They look like pullets to me too! The thing is, I've seen eggs come out of the other ones! [​IMG] Maybe we just have some REALLY odd-looking infertile germination spots, but they sure looked large and bullseyed to me.
    Actually, here's the funny thing about that: All of the eggs from one girl (Mahogany's twin Carmen) look fertile, and all of them from the Leghorn look infertile. We haven't cracked any of the Australorp's eggs yet.
    Any thoughts?

On Craigslist, most of the chickens listed here in the Springs(between 2months and a couple years old) were avg of $5-8, with rare/unusual breeds more like $15. This is my first time having to sell chickens, so I'm a novice. If you think its low, make a higher offer! [​IMG]

10. COChickens

COChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    HI I'm located in Falcon, CO and I would love to give your birds a great home! Please let me know what you would take for all of them.

Thanks,

Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by